The future of Alpha Mount.. Rumors.. High end..

Started Jun 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
havoc315
Senior MemberPosts: 1,331Gear list
Like?
The future of Alpha Mount.. Rumors.. High end..
Jun 20, 2013

According to the latest SAR rumors..... What seems to be known:

Future Alpha-mount will be mirror.

It will include Phase detection on the sensor "improved" over current technology.  (Unknown whether it will match dSLR, unknown whether it will support all Alpha lenses).

It should arrive early 2014.

It will be full-frame and "high end" APS-C.

I am forced to wonder just how "high end" they are intended.  Will the future A-mount just be $3000+ cameras aimed at professionals?  Maybe 4k compatible cameras.  While I doubt they will go to that extreme, in terms of the market, there is a big difference between "$700" high end... "$999".... $1500... $2000....

Where CaNikon are starting to give consumers FF dSLRs for under $1600... Will Sony even try to compete on that playing field?  Or is Sony going to abandon the more casual A-mount shooters?

It will be very interesting to see what unfolds in the next few months.  No matter which direction it goes, I'm sure it will be controversial, with people on both sides of the fence on whether Sony is going the right route.  Personally, if Sony reserves the pure A-mount as a true luxury product (as with the RX1).... pricing is purely as a premium product.... with no more "A5_s" or "A6_s"....  Then I will feel pretty abandoned  by Sony, as will many other legacy Minolta/Sony shooters.

havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow