LR Catalog Refresh

Started Jun 19, 2013 | Questions thread
JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
Re: LR Catalog Refresh
In reply to Barry Margolius, Jun 20, 2013

Barry Margolius wrote:

Even if you moved some files, I think the synchronize will work. If you moved, for example, one file Lightroom would just think you deleted 1 file and added 1 file in a different place; not knowing that it was the same file.

-barry

Maybe but there's still a potential problem.  If it thinks it's a new file you might lose any information it had about the other file.  Any metadata (keyword tags or other metadata) as well as any edits UNLESS you had dutifully written out the metadata to the files.  Even then you would lose things like collections the file might have been in.

For moved files, you can tell Lightroom to find them and then everything would be retained.  I do that when I move my entire image directory -- I just point it to the new location.  For individual files, it would be laborious I would think.

-- hide signature --

Judy

JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow