Mark K W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,138
Like?
Re: LR Catalog Refresh
In reply to Barry Margolius, Jun 20, 2013

Barry Margolius wrote:

JudyN wrote:

Barry Margolius wrote:

Unless I misunderstand your problem, it's quite easy. In Lightroom, highlight your primary image folder, and then right click on it (I'm a Windows user, but I'm sure there's a Mac equivalent), and select "Synchronize Folder".

There will be a delay, and then a dialog box will come up telling you how many images it plans to remove from the catalog, and giving you additional options.

But if you moved some, that's a whole different story. Apparently you didnt' read the part where you delete files and move files WITHIN Lightroom, not outside it. It is quite easy because you can see what you are deleting and then it is gone (to the recycle bin on Windows) and no cleanup necdessary. But that's for next time...

Or you could take your back (you do have one, right?) and start over with this cleanup project.

-- hide signature --

Judy

Even if you moved some files, I think the synchronize will work. If you moved, for example, one file Lightroom would just think you deleted 1 file and added 1 file in a different place; not knowing that it was the same file.

Unless you use XML into the files or sidecar, then when you move files Synchronize will not pick up the LR Develop adjustments made before the move.

If you write out the xml data (or sidecar) before the move (and then for RAWs also moved the sidecar alongside the image) Synchronize will restore the adjustments made before the move.

If an image is missing then you cannot copy or save metadata from it so I do not think there is any easy post-move and mid-resynchronise way to retain earlier adjustments. The only way to have done this retaining adjustments and history was to have done the move from inside LR.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow