Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,681
Like?
Re: Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.
In reply to talico, Jun 20, 2013

talico wrote:

KAllen wrote:

talico wrote:

Laszlo,

You are right. There is not that much difference. With higher resolution, you can crop more into an image, but that comes at the cost of perspective. Get the best equipment you can afford and then take photos and don't worry about what other cameras are available.

You have some great work on your website. I would like to make it to the exhibit, but it is way too far. Do you have any of them posted online?

Tom
My photos http://www.alicoatephotography.com

Cropping will not alter perspective, viewpoint determines perspective.

I guess what I was trying to say is that if you take a scene and crop into it you have a wider perspective than if you took the shot you wanted from the start. If I want a tight head shot, the perspective is different if you get there by cropping or by using a different lens. For instance, an 85mm on a full frame camera has a different perspective than a 50mm on a cropped sensor even though the angle of view might be similar . I do understand that if I take a photo on a full frame camera with a 50mm lens, the look will be the same on a cropped sensor, you will just have a cropped view of the same scene. This difference is why medium format has a different look. You can use a higher focal length to capture your subject which provides more compression and can create a more pleasing look/perspective.

If you take a photo of a scene at, say, 24mm, and take a photo of the same scene at 200mm, and then crop the 24mm photo to the same framing as the 200mm photo, the perspectives will be identical.

The perspective is the relative arrangement of the objects in the scene, and is a function solely of the subject-camera distance (more properly, the subject-aperture distance).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
auntNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow