Lenses: Did they get it right??

Started Jun 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,361Gear list
Like?
19 thumbs up for DavidMcGaughey - and still climbing!
In reply to wayfarers, Jun 19, 2013

wayfarers wrote:

Yes, I agree that the new Zeiss series is clearly designed to complement NEX cameras, which so far offered very few quality lenses (Zeiss cooperated with Sony for a long time, so no surprise here). I found it a bit bizarre though that so many people reacted strongly to opinion that the Touits make little sense for Fuji.

Just published (today) opinion from a very reputable Luminous Landscape again expresses the same opinion:

"...the focal lengths chosen for these first offerings (on the Fuji cameras at least) are odd ones. Fuji already has a highly regarded 14mm f/2.8 and similarly a well respected 35mm f/1.4. The 14mm is priced at $900, hundreds less than the Touit 12mm, and the 35mm Fuji is just $600, again some $300 less expensive than the Zeiss lenses."

...but at least if you buy considerably more expensive Zeiss optics, you will get higher optical quality, right? Well, not so fast:

"...small differences, to be sure, but none that we believe even the most neurotic lens examiner could use to declare one to be clearly superior to the other, in either focal length."

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/zeiss_touit_first_2_lenses.shtml

DavidMcGauhey, the second poster got 19 thumbs up, so you clearly have no idea what you are talking about, if the number of posters who think that I have lost the plot is any evidence as to whether or not the combination is right for anybody using Fuji X-Trans cameras!

I got quite a bashing for even thinking that the whole offering by Fuji & Zeiss didn't ake any sense.

Thanks for your post, bizarre, I agree with you, it is indeed!

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow