Scrap my Nikon kit 18-105 and 35 1.8 for a third party 17-50?

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
d50bsl
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?
Re: Scrap my Nikon kit 18-105 and 35 1.8 for a third party 17-50?
In reply to Jake64, Jun 19, 2013

You have 2 good lenses already, but the zoom is limiting regarding maximum aperture. For group shots around the table I would suggest that you don't want too wide and aperture because you end up with some of the faces being out of focus due to insufficient depth of field.

The 35 1.8 is one of the sharpest lenses, and for single portraits possible a little on the short side as its 52mm in 'old' or FF terms. I would suggest that you obtain a cheap 50mm F2/F1.8 Nikkor if you can find one. Better still an 85 F2 (AI/AIS manual focus) or an AF version. It will give you a little more length to step back and throw backgrounds OOF. Whilst the constant aperture zooms are going to be good, they will not be at their best at maximum aperture, They certainly won't be any sharper at F2.8 that your current 35mm at F2 or F2.8, at the equivalent focal length.

What lighting do you use, it might be worth considering a good flashgun first rather than lenses.

Just my thoughts, always a dilemma.

d50bsl's gear list:d50bsl's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow