Skin colour in 24MP DX cameras

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,871Gear list
Like?
Re: Skin colour in 24MP DX cameras
In reply to deVista, Jun 19, 2013

deVista wrote:

I moved to a Nikon D90 because it produced healthy looking white persons skin (when compared to the pale looking skin my Canon produced) without the need for processing.

I am now going to move to a 24mp body, but need to keep the size and weight to that associated with the DX range. However, I have noticed that the D7100 produces a more dead colour in the beige-tan colour ranges and therefore presume that the D5200 would be a better choice (from the perspective of how healthy my subjects would look).

Can anyone confirm that I am on the right track or offer a link to sample images of Caucasian/white people for Nikons?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I agree that getting skin tones right with the Nikon DSLRs is more trouble than it should be. I own a D7000 which can be problematic for skin tones, but I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered the Nikon V1 with it's very pleasing (IMO), skin tones that are achieved easily as long as the WB is correct.

A Nikon V1 image example of skin tones:

Nikon V1

I just wish the Nikon DSLRs would also produce the same quality of skin tones without the fuss, just like the Nikon 1 cameras can do.

-Jon
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" - Mark Twain

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow