Nikon 70-200 f4 Aftermarket Tripod Collar

Started Jun 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
eajames
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
Re: Nikon 70-200 f4 Aftermarket Tripod Collar
In reply to D Knisely, Jun 19, 2013

I too was an early adopter of the RRS collar and endured the ~5 month wait only to ship it back the day after I received it. As you point out, rotation wasn't very smooth, but that didn't bother me as much as the clamping bolt and the indeterminate amount of tightening that is required to secure the clamp. I have a tendency to over tighten things; I got the feeling that if I over tightened the RRS clamp I would crush the lens barrel or snap off the bolt. When the collar was as tight as I dared, the lens was not rock solid.  I have one of their collars for the 300mm f4 and I believe it to be well designed and highly stable.

I've had good luck photographing in high winds. I frequently use a 4X6 foot "blue tarp" to block the wind - you can stand on the windward side with a foot on either corner of a 4-foot side and extend the tarp in your arms while holding the release in one hand. At times (in extreme conditions) I've weighted the tripod's center column with rocks piled atop my pack.  I've obtained very sharp 1/8 to 2 second exposures using this approach, all the while worried that my wind-blown vehicle was going to tumble end over end off a cliff.  The only caveat: if you're shooting into the wind, pictures turn out very blue.

To the OP: I don't believe the collar is needed for this lens unless you want it for portrait to landscape switching. If you have a L-plate and use good tripod technique you'll be fine without it. It's a great lens - enjoy.  By the way, Nikon USA states on their site that the collar is intended to be used when additional support is required, such as when you're using a teleconverter.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow