Skin colour in 24MP DX cameras

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Deleted-pending
Deleted-pending Senior Member • Posts: 2,665
Re: disagree

brownie314 wrote:

This is a great discussion. I am glad to find that I am not the only person who has trouble with skin tones on the d7000. Not that I wish ill on other photographers, but at least I know it isn't totally my fault due to some camera technique. But also a little sad to realize that bad skin tones can't be avoided under some, rather common lighting conditions. I am a freak about colors, maybe too sensitive. I have been told not to worry so much, that other people don't care as much about that. But I just can't stand to see orange skin - even if it is just a little off, it bothers me.

It is a terrible issue with actual CMOS sensors, this is the reason why all medium format cameras still use CCD. Leica is making a very risky step by replacing its trusty 18MP CCD from Kodak with a new CMOS sensor in its M9, just for the sake of live view and video. Besides, if camera makers would be smart, they would offer a video capable CCD sensor for better colors and avoid rolling shutter issues. (jello effect when panning)

Do yourself a favor and find a second hand D200, even if the screen is small, the files are just a joy to work with : no color shift in shadow recovery, and actually better dynamic range out of the box if well exposed (no need to recover shadows or play with D-lighting, the raw files already provide shadow breathing) - grading is very easy too, files are light and the edge sharpness from CCD is amazing, this means that every detail is drawn precisely with no mushiness. Actually, I blew up 16X20 prints and they look amazing.

ps : the D60, D40X and D80 share the same sensor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
eNo
(unknown member)
eNo
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow