Skin colour in 24MP DX cameras

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
brownie314
Contributing MemberPosts: 702
Like?
Re: Use a CCD based camera for portraits
In reply to d3xmeister, Jun 19, 2013

d3xmeister wrote:

Nikon jpegs and Adobe conversion have these problems with skin tones. And not only skin tones. Compare a Nikon raw with a Canon raw in ACR, Canon raw looks more detailed, better micro contrast, it just looks much better in every way.

As a Nikon guy I am lucky enough to use a Macintosh, and Apple Aperture is just amazing at rendering my nef files. Skin tones and colors look gorgeous right out of the box.

So no, there is no sensor problem, it's just a raw processing problem in nikon jpegs and ACR.

For those on Windows,, I would give a try to Capture One Pro, DxO Optics and others, haven't tested them but I bet they do a much better job.

P.S. I don't know why but it looks to me the D7100 has the best skin tones I have ever seen, better than even the FF cameras. Maybe I am wrong but that's how it looks to me.

Well, I only shoot raw and I use Capture NX2 and view NX2. So if those programs have problems with raw conversions, then we all might as well give up (after all what other programs would have more access to how the nef files should be read and rendered). I was an avid  light room user when I shot Canon but after I switched to the d7000 it took so much time to get the files to not look like a$$ that I switched to capture nx and view nx and have never looked back. Overall, capture and view are very good at raw conversions, it is just that nagging skin tone issue that bites.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow