Need Assistance with PC Specs

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris Noble
Contributing MemberPosts: 999Gear list
Like?
Re: Bronze = hotter, Gold = cooler
In reply to SushiEater, 10 months ago

SushiEater wrote:

Everything you said is true except the efficiency is measured at peak levels. If peak levels are not reached most PSs are about the same. Most people running computer normally never reach peak power.

Download Coretemp and it should tell you how much power your computer uses.

My computer based on 6 cores 3930K overclocked to 4.5Ghz uses 150 watts max during RAW picture processing and I got 1200W single rail PS just because it was on sale. My normal computing is only uses 24 watts in idle mode, in other words if I am reading a page and nothing more but then it is running at 1.2Ghz

The only time you can reach peak levels if your video card/cards is a "fire dragon". If you are running high power video cards in SLI ( 2 or 4 cards) gaming (otherwise they are idle) and your CPU is running close to 100% (which is very difficult to achieve unless you are benchmarking) maybe, just maybe you need efficient PS. Most brand computers don't have efficient PSs and if they have high wattage one it probably has multiple rails to spread that power.

And after all of this from low level 80 plus efficiency to the highest level is only like 9%. No big deal.
If anything use efficiency level for the quality of the PS. It is not always true but more efficient PSs should have better components and better build.

I think you are incorrect. The 80 Plus Efficiency ratings are at 20%, 50% and 100% load, not just "peak". And the higher the maximum rating of the PS, the more heat it will dissipate at the same load as a less powerful PS of the same efficiency (efficiency is measured as a percentage of the rating).

Your 1200W PS might have been "on sale" but it is way overkill for your 150W system and the extra heat is substantial. The 9% difference is, in fact, a "big deal". Your 80%, 1200W PS generates 240W of heat powering your 150W system. My 90%, 220W PS generates 22W of heat under the same conditions: less than 1/10th.

And the extra 218W of wasted power is costing you $286 per year if you leave your system on 24/7 and you are paying $0.15/kWh for your electricity. Quite an expensive power supply! Not counting the extra power required to cool everything.

My i7/16GB RAM/SSD/HDD system is completely silent even when fully loaded and the cores stay at 40 degrees C with a small processor fan and one small enclosure fan that never need to run past about 40%. And as you say, the 80+Gold PSs have better quality components than the Bronzes.

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow