If I owned an NEX-3 or NEX-5 variant, THIS is the $25 accessory that would improve my photos most!

Started Jun 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,873Gear list
Like?
If I owned an NEX-3 or NEX-5 variant, THIS is the $25 accessory that would improve my photos most!
Jun 19, 2013

The big deficit of all cameras without optical or electronic viewfinders is that they require you to hold them like iPhones, on outstretched arms, where it's tough to see in bright light, difficult to keep shake-free. You thought you were saving money and didn't need an EVF until you got serious about shooting in low light at slow speeds, or tracking your active kids.

You fell into the lensmakers' trap: "For more than you spent for your camera, we will sell you one AF/OSS lens."

Stop envying those with EVF models and getting ripped off by AF lens sellers, and start getting images as good as theirs - even with legacy manual-focus lenses in bright sunlight.

THIS could be the solution.

I use a similar product  with my Nikon D7000s for live-view video, and it has transformed them for me. I can focus better, I can see background issues, etc.

Assuming it works like the DSLR version,

• It would free you guys without EVFs from the tyranny of expensive AF/OSS lenses, because YOU could focus better and stabilize your cameras without those crutches. It's not as good as an EVF, but it's a HUGE improvement. With your elbows against your sides and the eyecup clamped against your face, you have the "tripod" that stabilizes your camera for shooting sharper, motion-free shots at 1/6th second.
  • It would give you vastly better video. VASTLY better
  • It would transform your macro work outdoors.
  • It would transform your camera into a credible street/action shooter, so you can stop shooting flowers and trees and static scenes, learn zone focusing - and stop whining that your AF system doesn't track your active kids. You'll discover how we old MF filmshooters got great images of OUR active kids 20-30 years before this techno-crutch stuff - and cameras didn't die with their batteries.

No promises, but it looks promising.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +11 more
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
evfNew
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow