Started Jun 19, 2013 | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jared Huntr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,523Gear list
Like?
SL1: Urban wildlife up close
Jun 19, 2013

i recently took the SL1 to the local park to shoot critters. Since I was on bike, I wanted to go as light as possible and took the featherweight 18-55 STM. This lens continues to impress with its sharpness and versatility.

I shot mainly with Live View + touch shutter and positioned myself as low as possible in order to approach the critters up close. Live View was preferred because I could use my peripheral vision to assist with anticipating where to re-frame as the critters hopped around. It was also nice not being locked into one of the 9 AF points for focusing since the critter's eyes are relatively small focus targets.

We often obsess with image quality but ignore other features that are also truly useful in photography like a quiet shutter. The SL1's Quiet Shutter mode was a welcome change from the loud clacking of mirror/shutters of other models which would tend to spook little animals when shooting up close.

Jared Huntr's gear list:Jared Huntr's gear list
Ricoh GR
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow