Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 26,120
Like?
Re: the problem
In reply to goblin, 10 months ago

goblin wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

The problem isn't that the shutter failed. The problem is that Olympus's promises 150,000 actuations from this "top pro camera" and that when their cameras fail at a fraction of that promised total, Olympus throws their hands up and says "Not my problem!"

150,000 shutter cycles is a normal achievement for a jobbing pro. The E1 routinely reached these totals so Olympus knows how to do it if they wanted to.

The actual problem is that people read one thing and interpret it the way it arranges them. I dare anyone to find anywhere an official mention of Olympus promising 150000 shutter actuations. There is no such thing.

The shutter is "tested" for 150000 shutter actuations as per Olympus or "rated / expected to survive at least" 150000 actuations as per the magazine and online reviews who stay on the serious side of things.

Everything else is wishful thinking / urban legend which feeds on itself. No promises here. Not from Olympus, nor from any other camera brand. I have yet to see any brand giving a specific shutter warranty the way some automakers give a longer "powertrain" warranty than the warranty of the rest of the car.

You do need to check with consumer legislation wherever you are though. In many the claim 'tested for 150000 shutter actuations' would be seen as an advertising claim leading the consumer to reasonably expect that the shutter would last 150000 actuations, and the supplier would have to make good on it, warranty or no warranty.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow