Nikon 70-200 f4 Aftermarket Tripod Collar

Started Jun 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
D Knisely
Senior MemberPosts: 1,687
Like?
Re: Nikon 70-200 f4 Aftermarket Tripod Collar
In reply to David A. Hamments, Jun 19, 2013

I ordered the RRS collar when it was announced and waited FOREVER (months) while it was delayed time and time again.  After the wait, I can say that I don't really recommend it particularly, but Kirk owners seem impressed with their collars.

The RRS collar has a poor feeling on the screw that loosens the collar and allow the lens orientation to rotate.  It is also difficult to see the true vertical/horizontal markings, so I end up guessing.  Worse, the lens seems to make disturbing grating sounds when rotated and the tightening screw make "fingernails on chalk" screeching sounds when you loosen/tighten it (extremely annoying).  Definitely not RRS grade and certainly not worth the money or delay.  My first disappointment from them...

As far as stability, on my first roadtrip with the collar, I had many long exposures that were ruined by motion (to my surprise).  There was a lot of wind and I'm not positive that the collar contributed, but I have never had troubles like this when trying to use good technique (which I was).  The jury is still out on this one.

Doug

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow