What's a good beginner's camera?

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Questions thread
Limilicious
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Re: What's a good beginner's camera?
In reply to KCook, Jun 19, 2013

KCook wrote:

does the T_i series just have incremental upgrades from the previous one. Like the upgraded features/functions are nice, like touchscreen or higher ISO. It gives me the feeling that if you're not too keen on any specific specs, getting T2i and T5i is the same.

You're right. The most important Canon upgrades have been to LCD and LiveView mode. With the T3i the LCD can be folded out. Useful for folks who shoot a lot over the heads of crowds, and for macro work, or a foodie. But not many of us spend a lot of time in those modes, so not really essential. The counter argument on fold out LCDs is that they are one more barnacle on little bodies that are already covered with buttons and doors. They violate the KISS principle.

Anyways, this is why I often advise saving a lot of $$ with a used T2i instead going for the latest Rebel as a first DSLR. For serious improvement the 60D is the one to check out, instead of the latest Rebel. And the 60D has it's hands full against the latest semi-pro Nikon models. But a 70D release is thought to be imminent.

Kelly

Just a thought because buying a less expensive used one allows me to save more money to spend towards other things. If I were to work towards my first second lens, what would it be? Or would the basic 18-55 be sufficient for mainly landscapes, trees, buildings, or stationary/static objects?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow