Lenses for a canoe trip on the Yukon River

Started Jun 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
buratino
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Re: Lenses for a canoe trip on the Yukon River
In reply to Eric Nepean, Jun 19, 2013
Comments and thoughts?

Will I miss the 100-300, which is equivalent to a 200mm-600mm zoom on a full frame camera?

-- hide signature --

Eric

Hi Eric,

I think you should take your 100-300: I suppose you have a chance to see some wildlife, hopefully not too close :^) 1.5 pounds is not heavy.

I am not sure how you plan to use your gear on water. I would definitely use G5 on the river, not only TS3. When canoeing, I recommend to use light waterproof sack (Sea to Summit, I mean, different sizes, easy to get from REI or Cabela's) padded inside with some "foam' for your single item, say G5+Rokinon. It weights nothing, easily rolled/sealed back when required, you can really use your selected gear, while the rest of it is somewhere in the waterproof hard case. I used Lowepro's dry bags 100/200, which saved my gear (like the small sack did for my point and shoot), but was not convenient to open on the water.

I am envy about your trip: I did my home work on the trip a couple of years ago and found that I am worried about 1) Laberge with it's winds and waves, 2) bears; 3) Five Finger Rapids (I am not much of a white water guy).

Good luck and keep us informed!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow