Continuation of my Nikon D4 assymetrical AF saga Part III

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,083Gear list
Like?
Re: Continuation of my Nikon D4 assymetrical AF saga Part III
In reply to surrephoto, Jun 19, 2013

I've played with many lenses and conclude that 50 1.4D is a great lens for this test due to CA & sharpness properties and you can easy judge a left or assymetrical AF problem on various bodies while utilising the 50 1.4D. The standard test for this problem for the D800 & also various maintenance test for many pro bodies also involves a custom calibrated 50 1.4D based on my knowledge.

That's interesting. I have a 50/1.4 pre-D AF lens, which I assume has exactly the same optics.

But I've also heard that the left focus problem gets more obvious when wide angle lenses are used. I remember hearing people saying that it was really severe with a 28/1.8 or something like that, and pretty much unnoticeable with a 200mm or so lens.

I guess it's completely off topic, but do you notice some purple halation when using the lens wide open, particularly in very bright sunlight? It's kind of like a purple glow around high contrast edges. It's usually not a problem at all, but kind of changes the 'look' of things when the lens is used wide open in bright sunlight.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
???New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow