D300 eyepiece mods for eyeglass wearers…

Started Jun 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,486
Like?
D300 eyepiece mods for eyeglass wearers…
Jun 18, 2013

I just wanted to share my "eyeglass wearers" solution for getting better utilization of the D300 viewfinder. After wearing contacts for most of my shooting years, I had to go back to wearing eyeglasses - bummer for sure. This puts the eye farther away from the standard D300 viewfinder and makes it difficult to see some of the readout data.

So, I decided to try a few "alternate" eyepiece solutions and I found one that I like. I’ve been using this for a couple of seasons so it’s been "field tested" for sure. It’s consists of only 2 Nikon parts and it’s very easy to install.

Here are the parts…

First you replace the standard D300 eyepiece with this DK-22 adapter…

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37445-REG/Nikon_2370_DK_22_Eyepiece_Adapter_for.html

Then you attach (screw-in) this round Nikon Finder Eyepiece to the DK-22…

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37450-REG/Nikon_2925_Finder_Eyepiece_for_FM.html

This round Finder Eyepiece has a rubber edge where your eyeglasses would be in contact with it.

This combo is very flat (compared to the standard D300 unit) and it’s also a "round" eyepiece solution. These 2 "properties" combine to get your eye closer to the viewfinder so that you can see more of the internal display.

fwiw… The DK-22 adapter also fits the D90 but I haven’t tried it yet on that body (I didn’t think that I would have the D90 body [my backup] this long - but I just ordered the "parts" for that unit too). I did try the "magnifying eyepiece" for doing close-up work, but it obscured too much of the viewfinder.

I hope that this info helps some other eyeglass wearers for using their D300 body.

Wayne

p.s. - I hope the links work ok.

Nikon D300 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow