Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
Re: I have some questions.
In reply to Great Bustard, Jun 18, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

misolo wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

• Or put it all together -- a modern day compact, like the G15, vs modern day FF, like the 6D with good lenses? Is there any noticeable IQ difference between the compact and FF?

The sad truth is that, in good light and if you're not looking for shallow depth of field, there isn't that much difference. Still, you'll only pry my 5DIII from my cold dead fingers...

MASTERPPA wrote:

BS.

Even in the BEST of light, a G15 vs a 5D3, on a good sized print (20x30) I can see the difference in a second. Mostly from DR, and edges.

The 5D3 and G15 have about the same DR. What do you mean by "edges"?

Not ture. I don't own G15 but similar 1/1.7" sensor S95 and I do own 5D3. The difference between two cameras are HUGE. FF 5D3 is vastly better than much smaller sensor G15 in highlight headroom for example and much lower SNR, no comparison even at base ISO that 5D3 color tonality, shadow noises and highlight clipping are much better.

If the pic is a landscape, I can tell instantly at about 2 feet. A portrait, except for DOF is much harder if it is a soft image. But as soon as I look at the hair and eye lashes, I can tell.

So you've seen landscapes and portraits of the same scene from the G15 and 5D3 printed at 20 x 30 inches side-by-side? I never have, so I don't know if I could tell. But a lot of people here are saying that they wouldn't be able to tell.

I never print my S95 photos to 20x30" as no reason but I believe it will have significant difference. The difference is not really in amount of MP but in SNR, color tonality, natural sharpness, clarity, highlight clipping and shadow noise even at base ISO no mention in high ISOs. Among the same format (sensor size) cameras, the difference in amount of MP is much smaller. I don't see much difference between 5D1 and 5D2 when print to 20x30" that I do have a few prints from each camera.  Even at base ISO 5D3 color tonality, shadow noises and highlight clipping are much better than 1/1.7" sensor based G15/S110.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
auntNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow