Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
misolo
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?
Re: I have some questions.
In reply to Great Bustard, Jun 18, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

misolo wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

• Or put it all together -- a modern day compact, like the G15, vs modern day FF, like the 6D with good lenses? Is there any noticeable IQ difference between the compact and FF?

The sad truth is that, in good light and if you're not looking for shallow depth of field, there isn't that much difference.

Yes, that's what I was asking. So, up to a 20 x 30 inch print, the G15 would be as good as FF under those conditions. A similar sentiment was expressed here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

However, coming back to the subject of light, what's your opinion on that? That is, if people can't see the difference between 5 MP and 36 MP, what about ISO 100 vs ISO 800? ISO 400 vs ISO 6400?

Still, you'll only pry my 5DIII from my cold dead fingers...

For sure, there are operational advantages that make the 5D3 superior to a G15. But I'm talking about just IQ, here.

I think that between 5 and 36 MP you should see a difference at 20x30, but not between 12 and 20 MP.

Never looked carefully at the differences between different ISO for large prints. If you ask me to guess (and this is a pure guess, though if I have some free time this summer may entertain myself checking), I'd say that relative to ISO 100 you might only see a difference when you get to ISO 1600 (assuming the ISO 800 image is handled carefully), but relative to ISO 1600 you might immediately see a difference at ISO 3200.

misolo's gear list:misolo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix XP10 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
auntNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow