Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Christoph Stephan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,676Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't believe it.
In reply to Great Bustard, Jun 18, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

Up to here, I'm with you.

And for wildlife shots, it is easy to see the extra feather detail and such when I took a pic of a bird with a 7D and then a 5D2, the 7D pics clearly show more.

No, I'm afraid I don't buy that. How is it that 18 MP 1.6x resolved more detail than 22 MP FF, unless, of course, you were framing wider with FF?

As he was talking about birds he probably is framing wider with FF; long is never long enough with birds. Let us assume he uses his longest lens (400mm or 500 mm or even 600 mm) for the shots, and needs to crop his 5d2 image to acheive the same field of view as with his 7D:

22 MP : (1.6 x 1.6) = 8.6 MP i.e. far less than the 18 MP of his 7D.

Or let's assume a full frame sensor with the same pixel density as the 7D:

18 MP x (1.6 x 1.6) = 46 MP i.e. considerably more than the EOS 5DII or 6D has.

Therefore it is not at all surprising that he achieves better feather detail with his 7D.

In other areas of photography you are correct of course, you simply use a longer lens to achieve the same field of view. In bird photography, this is usually financially prohibitive (and you could mount that 800mm to your 7D and achieve even better feather detail....)

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
auntNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow