Light lens for birding?

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ayewing
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?
Re: Light lens for birding?
In reply to miles green, Jun 18, 2013

If weight is the important factor as has been suggested using one of the smaller sensor cameras makes a great difference not only to the size and weight of the body but also to the lenses. I have a K30 and a DA55-300 which gives quite good results if you can get close enough but it is slow, noisy and tends to hunt. The DA*300 is a lovely lens of the highest optical quality and focuses quickly and silently but it is quite heavy.

The Q used with an adapter and long lens certainly benefits from the high crop factor but has limitations due to the small sensor size.

The best solution for me (I am in my mid seventies and have had a triple CABG) is the Olympus OM-D E-M5 which has a micro four thirds sensor with a crop factor of X2 making the reach of the Oly 75-300mm lens effectively 600mm in 35mm terms. The OM-D also benefits from probably the best image stabiliser in the business and its good high ISO capabilities help to mitigate the limitations of the small aperture available at full extension.

I still prefer my K-30 for most types of photography due to its better ergonomics, menu systems, robustness and ease of use.

ayewing's gear list:ayewing's gear list
Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow