ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NMK
NMK
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
Which camera, driving me crazy!!!
Jun 18, 2013

Hi all, per my earlier post, I want to ditch my D300 (18~200VR, SB800) for something lighter & more portable, with zoom, with video, with decent IQ.

I have survived thus far with the China made, but versatile, 18~200 and I come to accept the IQ knowing my photos will never make National Geographic.  I use LR and that will tend to fix things up a bit.

I shoot kids/family, etc., scenery shots only with family in it. The photos are almost always viewed on the computer and occasionally will be printed to max 8x10 so the D300's 12MP is enough.

Long story short, I was going for the OM5, love the looks, but due to M4/3 sensor's possible shallow DoF, I settled on the NEX6 with the APS-C, but now I am stuck at the lens selection. I wanted the 18~200PZ but heard not so great reviews about it's IQ & focus at > 150mm.  The 16~55 is too short or I must carry more lenses.  I love the Zeiss but I don't want to carry so many lenses around plus I don't know if spending $5k on lenses is such a wise move considering composition to me is far more important than the absolute sharp focus and contrast.

Now I see the Lumix FZ200, it has pretty much everything I need plus f2.8 at max length! I cannot imaging the IQ to be worse than my Nikon 18~200 and it has good video functions.

Are there any issues I should be aware of? Maybe lack of shallow DoF due to small sensor size? I do like take photos of people more than anything else.  The reviews say the built in flash is lame but I always carried external flash anyway.

Please help, this is maddening!!!

Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow