The 18-55 is great. (Seoraksan, Korea)

Started Jun 18, 2013 | Photos thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,356Gear list
Like?
Re: The 18-55 is great. (Seoraksan, Korea)
In reply to nrcole, Jun 18, 2013

nrcole wrote:

A few shots from hiking the other weekend. First time I really gave the 18-55 a chance since I got my 5N, and whaddya know, I ended up leaving it on most the day.

The lens didn't magically get better in the past year, but I certainly did. We don't want to leave these lenses on all the time because they're not particularly fast and don't have a fancy distinction, but in most applications they perform admirably. With it's smooth manual ring, tight build, and metal casing, plus pretty decent sharpness and contrast, I think this lens punches above its weight in the 18-55 3.5-5.6 category.
Anyways. Between that trip and all the hubbub about no premium zooms, I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

"The lens didn't magically get better in the past year, but I certainly did. We don't want to leave these lenses on all the time because they're not particularly fast and don't have a fancy distinction, but in most applications they perform admirably."

Of course. You got better. So of course, the "lens got better" too. Your images are well composed. I didn't view the originals, but I am sure they're fine, probably better than that.

This is a gear-head forum where one of the coins of the realm is to bash the kit lenses. Perceptive newbies come here before they've even purchased a NEX with kit-lens-bashing comments.

You've laid waste to their blanket criticism. The art is in the artist, not the brushes.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow