The "A" gets an F

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
tomjar
Regular MemberPosts: 468
Like?
Re: The "A" gets an "A" from me! Different needs for different folks...
In reply to Rexgig0, Jun 18, 2013

Rexgig0 wrote:

tomjar wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

I respect the opinion of a photograpther who prefers zoom lenses. Such a preference is, indeed, simply a preference. When I finally became interested in serious digital SLR photography, my first mentor was my wife, who is a believer in zoom lenses. She did, however, claim the first A that I purchased! I am saving for a second A, unless something presents itself as a more-favorable alternative. (I dream of a Sony RX1!)

That being said, I am more a user of fixed-focal-length lenses. I really do like the Nikon A very much, but I see it as one part of a ensemble. It is a quite good 28mm (equivalent) lens, with an excellent sensor attached to it, that saves me the trouble of changing SLR lenses, by covering the wide-normal field of view, and is easier to carry in a large pocket or small flat belt pouch than an 18mm or 28mm SLR lens. An excellent companion for the A would be an SLR with either a 50mm lens, or a zoom suitable for the occasion, perhaps a 70-200mm. When I wish to carry just one camera, I can choose either the A, or an SLR, or another camera I may acquire in the future.

At work, I use two DSLRs, one with a 100mm macro lens, and the other with an ultra-wide zoom. In many situations, an A could handle the work done by the ultra-wide zoom, saving me the effort of juggling two DSLRs. The A will fit into the large right pocket of my uniform shirt.

My wife uses an 18-200mm zoom lens at work on her D7000. Many of her shots are at the 18mm (28mm equivalent) end of the zoom range, and are horribly distorted (barrel), as is typical of 18-200mm lenses. With the A, she can shoot the more important wide images with much less distortion. We may soon buy her a zoom that does not start quite so wide, as the A can handle the wider-angle shots.

Why not correct the barrel distortion in PP? The answer is, simply, that evidentiary images cannot be post-processed. The protocols of evidentiary images are that OOC JPEGs are uploaded into proprietary programs. My wife shoots Nikon JPEGs for the Medical Examiner, and I shoot any brand of JPEGs for a police department.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Hi Robert. That was an interesting insight into how police and ME collect the data.

Hello! I am not Robert, but as you quoted my post, I will answer.

I am just curious: who decides which cameras (make, model) are being used?

In the USA, government is largely de-centralized. Each government entity has its own procurement methods. I have seen local M.E. investigators using Nikon D200, D300, and D300s cameras, with Tamron lenses of various zoom ranges, and SB-800 Speedlights.

I work for a very large municipal (city) police department. The Crime Scene Unit officers are issued, individually, Canon DSLR cameras, with the 50D being current issue at the time I received my police photography training in 2010. Though I was required to attend that training with a DSLR, no brand was specified.

I work for a patrol division, not CSU, and there is a shared pocket-sized Sony point-and-shoot available for me to use, for the duration of the shift. I find point-and-shoots to be maddenly difficult to use, clumsy to handle, and limited in ability. I choose to use my own DSLR and related equipment! (Notably, the Nikon A is just large enough to handle easily in my hands, and its menu and controls enough like a DSLR to make it easy for me to use. In my opinion, it should not have received the "Coolpix" label, as it might lead one to believe it is a mere point-and-shoot.)

The lenses you mentioned (a wide angle and an 100 mm macro) make a lot of sense to me (for getting the general scene view and the little details). But how come the ME is happy enough with the 11x zoom lens? Are their requirements very different from yours?

My wife is in San Antonio for this week, so I do not have a quick answer. An 18-200 zoom does seem to meet her needs, and I have seen her shoot very detailed images of a fingerprint on a window pane with a county-issued D300s and Tamron 18-200mm Di II, and then hand me the camera, and coach me, as I then did the same. She is a quite skilled and experienced photographer.

Kind regards, Tomaz

Be safe and well!

Rex

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Sorry about the name confusion Rex. And thanks for a thorough reply.

Kind regards, Tomaz

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow