Started Jun 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
How much memory for a MBP?
Jun 18, 2013

I have been trying to determine which Mac to convert to and, for a variety of reasons, have decided that it will have to be a MacBook Pro. Since I want high screen resolution that means the Retina display but the Retina MBPs only come with an SSD. The problem is that I don't know how much I will need. Not for general "stuff". I can use a usb 3.0 drive for that. But for stored OS's and swap space.

I expect I will probably want to run Windows and Linux, either under Parallels/VMware or through BootCamp, so I will need space for OSX, Windows and Linux and I am not sure how much space that will eat up on the drive.

My current PC has a 750 GB drive in it and I am currently using about 250 GB of that space, but more than 100 GB of that space is taken up by raw digital images which would largely reside on an external usb drive on the Mac so I am not concerned too much about digital images and video. usb 3.0 (or Thunderbolt) should take care of that.

Does anyone already run those and, if so, how much space would I need. I would like to be able to get by with 500 GB because the 750 GB SSD memory is very expensive, but I also need to have enough space to run Windows and, perhaps, Linux.

Thanks.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow