Light lens for birding?

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,827Gear list
Like?
Re: Light lens for birding?
In reply to DarylK, Jun 17, 2013

DarylK wrote:

Sometime in the future, you might want to consider buying the new Q7 with lens adapter and take advantage of the crop factor to achieve really long equivalent FLs. I'll be watching posts by early adopters/experimenters with interested in seeing how this might work out. I bought the original Q (when it was dirt cheap) and an inexpensive adapter to K mount with this in mind. However, my 55-300, as good as it is, doesn't have the optical resolution to meet what I was hoping for. No fault of the lens...just trying to push the envelope a little too far beyond it's design purpose.

I found that the 55-300 works best on the Q if you put it around 200mm and f9.5.  That keeps the length (and the shake) to a slightly more reasonable level than it is at 300, and it's a bit sharper that way.  The manual prime I use on my Q now is sharper, but not really all that much sharper.

The larger sensor in the Q7 will certainly mitigate this to an extent yet to be determined.

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow