Started Jun 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,322Gear list
Like?
Re: VF-4 is a Revelation
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Jun 17, 2013

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

point taken but it's 2003 and someone says to you “in ten year you will have to pay extra if you want to have a viewfinder with your camera” wouldn’t you have laughed in their face

No....and there are a lot of choices out there if you do want a camera with a built-in viewfinder.

If you don't want a camera without a built in viewinder, then nobody is forcing you to buy a body that does not have one.  On the other hand, if you want a smaller camera, and yet still want a very high quality viewfinder to use some of the time, this is a perfect solution.

If you look at the quality of the camera and the viewfinder together, the price is competitive with the competition with the same options, either as built in or add on, so I still don't understand what the problem is.

External viewfinders have been around for a VERY long time.  Good quality VFs have never been cheap; good glass or good electronics are expensive to do right. Nowadays, in order to put a high quality viewfinder into the body of a current digital camera, you need to either miniaturize the EVF circuitry or make the camera larger, both of which are expensive, and the end results are not necessarily esthetically pleasing.

Eventually will the technology exist to put a lovely large viewfinder into a tiny body?  Probably.  However, it won't be cheap when it happens, just as the external is not cheap now.

Oh, and there is one bonus to an EVF, which I had forgotten about until I put this one on....being a left-eye shooter, it's really nice that my nose is not jammed up against the LCD and the controls when looking through it....

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow