Started Jun 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Doug Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,897
Like?
Taylor Swift's RED Tour
Jun 17, 2013

It was kinda a Taylor Swift Weekend for me as I shot her 2nd RED concert in The Rogers Centre Sat. night (2nd of two sold out shows at 45,000 people per show ... ka-ching!) and then did her again at the live MMVA show (Canada's version of the MTV Awards) yesterday (where the shutter on my E5 blew out just as Taylor stepped up to present an award), and again backstage at the MMVA step-and-go.

Used the Micro OMD cameras for her concert (thank god). If you want to see what Micro can do shooting live concert stills, please click here They were all done on the OMD and mZuiko 14-150mm lens.

She's usually a breath of fresh sensibility in the concert scene, offering us very nice access to shoot her shows in the past (I've been accredited for all her tours now), but for the RED concert, due to production requirements, we were placed way off to one side.

We were allowed to shoot the 2nd and third songs, but she spent most of the 2nd song and about half the third song way out on the catwalk with her back turned to us facing out to the audience.

So really, we got a little over half a song where she was in a good position for us the photograph her.

We were close (within 10 ft.) but in among the crowd and well back from the end of the catwalk portion of the stage. Had several shots ruined by people's hands in the way. No one told us to bring a folding apple crate to get above the hands. I had to shoot between them which limited the number of usable frames.

This heavily backlit photo is what we saw a lot of this time around, but the EVF on the Olympus E-M5 made it a breeze to dial in the right exp. comp.

Unfortunate, but her new show is such a juggernaut of a production (it's a HUGE theatrical show) I guess we just got squeezed out this time.

It happens. I never take it for granted that artists of an international caliber like Taylor have to accommodate us. Frankly, I think it's cool that they let us shoot their shows at all. She hardly needs the publicity.

Douglas Brown

Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow