Started Jun 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Doug Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,867
Like?
E5 shutter dies ... in the middle of shooting Taylor Swift
Jun 17, 2013

Shooting the MMVA's last night (MuchMusic Video Awards - Canada's MTV Awards) and got some funky exposure problems while photographing Avril Lavigne, but most frames were okay.

Then Taylor Swift comes out on stage, and suddenly I have a whole new 'Taylor Swift Art Filter'. The top half of the frame is way over exposed and blurred. A couple frames later the dreaded black blade across the frame and shortly after that nothing but a black frame.

You know, I love using Olympus equipment, but my E3 died at 65,000 exposures and the E5 probably has just slightly more mileage on it.

Not impressed at all with the supplier they are using for shutters in their Pro cameras. Heck, I think my E510 was more reliable.

It was kinda a Taylor Swift Weekend for me as I shot her 2nd RED concert in The Rogers Centre the night before (two sold out shows at 45,000 people per ... ka-ching!) and then did her again at the live MMVA show, and again backstage at the MMVA step-and-go.

Used the Micro OMD cameras for her concert (thank god). If you want to see what Micro can do shooting live concert stills, please click here

She's usually a fresh breath of sensibility in the concert scene, offering us very nice access to shoot her shows in the past (I've been accredited for all her tours now), but for the RED concert we were placed way off to one side.
We were only allowed to shoot the 2nd and third songs, but she spent most of the 2nd song and about half the third song way out on the catwalk with her back turned to us facing out to the audience.
So really, we got a little over half a song where she was in a good position for us the photograph her.

Unfortunate, but her new show is such a juggernaut of a production I guess we just got squeezed out this time.

Douglas Brown

Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow