After going through several still cameras, I think I may need a dedicated camcorder for great video.

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
buratino
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
it could be point-and-shoot still camera
In reply to 2eyesee, Jun 17, 2013

Are there any other options I should consider - both in terms of a dedicated camcorder or good stills/video camera?

Strangely enough, it could be point-and-shoot still camera like Sony HX9v, HX20/30v, or HX50v. My hx9v seems to have better sharpness and 'texture' than my V700 at wide-angle setting both at 60p 28mbps. I use mine only as video camera, not as a still camera.

V700 is extremely good for long tele shots and has excellent stabilization. It's indeed is wide enough at 28mm and has a decent low light performance. Put 40W LED light on it and you can shoot in total darkness.

The most stupid feature of V700 is placement of mic input under the LCD monitor, so you cannot completely close it with an external mic.

I had a chance to use Canon's M41=M52 in many respects: extremely sharp glass, manifested in video picture despite being only 60i : sharper than 60p of V700. One of the reasons - moderate zoom range + from normal to tele (not from wide to tele). The M41 sharpness is not worse than that of G10 (because of the easier lens design). Low light is the best.

Hope it helps.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow