Warning - Nikon REFUSES to replace equipment they cannot fix, even if under warranty.

Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,407Gear list
Like?
Re: Warning - Nikon REFUSES to replace equipment they cannot fix, even if under warranty.
In reply to Juggernaut122, Jun 17, 2013

I went through something similar with my first D70. In Australia consumer law is suppose to protect against a device that is not fit for purpose and the retailer is responsible. My issue was an intermittent shutter jam. Sent it in twice and got it back still jamming twice with them insisting it couldn't be replicated on the bench. Even had a manager (at Maxwell the only official Nikon repairer for products bought in my area at the time), literallly laugh at me and mock me. (When I rang back I was told that I'd spoken to him on his last or second last day at the company).

3rd time I sent in a DVD which clearly showed me replicating the issue, and threatened to take it to the consumer body. In the end the camera body was replaced by the retailer who could see I was serious about taking it further.

I have had nothing but headaches with Nikon and their servicing agents here in Australia. A second shutter jam developed with a D70S a couple of years later (well out of warranty). Again it took several attempts to fix it. They finally got it right, but when I test a camera for less than 5 minutes and find the same jam I have to wonder what testing they did.

Don't get me started on remapping of hot pixels and other out of warranty service that a user could probably handle themselves. They like to charge consumers big time, and heaven help you if you have multiple cameras because unless you're a working professional with NPS, you've got no hope of getting reasonably priced service. Even then you have to have luck on your side. I love Nikon cameras, but I truely and utterly hate how they do business. If I could find an alternative manufacturer that offered the quality and gear that was truely comparable, but with a better customer service record, I'd not hesitate to jump ship.

We're not alone

http://www.bythom.com/experiencesrepair.htm

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
TrueNew
NoNew
AllNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow