One more reason to shoot in RAW...

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Larnus
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
Re: One more reason to shoot in RAW...
In reply to GeRoche, Jun 17, 2013

GeRoche wrote:

So can you tell us exactly how you processed this? Recovered the shadows obviously but what did you do to the sky? I often encounter the same problem - deep shadows in the foreground and overexposed sky ( almost always with banding when shooting 60-120 degrees to the sun ).

Have you considered using a Gradual Neutral Density (GND) filter? It's basically a square filter that's held in front of the lens that darkens the sky and fades to invisible near the horizon. It's a traditional technique that gives you HDR without the horrible low-contrast artificial look of in-camera HDR. You end up with brighter land/buildings, more saturated skies, much finer cloud detail - and loss of blown highlights.

My GND was the single best add-on purchase I've made for my camera. So if you're sick of white skies with black subjects on the ground - give it a try. Cokin are pretty decent, while chinese copies are super cheap but give a strong colour cast. Instead of using a bracket to hold the filter, I use my fingers to do hand-held shots while balancing the camera on my palm (not ideal but works!).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow