RX1 vs. Canon 5D iii

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,923Gear list
Like?
As a D800 + 24-70 f2.8 shooter and RX1
In reply to halfmonkey, Jun 17, 2013

halfmonkey,

As a D800 + 24-70 f2.8 shooter for work (I shoot Nikon a lot and for pay) also have a99 + 24-70 f2.8 zeiss , and a RX1 user for almost everything else.

Here is my experience.

From the time I started shooting with the D700 and then D800 I have NOT carried my DSLR with me daily. much less the sb900 flash. that combo is heavy. You will quickly start limiting when you bring it out with you.

As a father, you will NEVER know when a "Moment" will happen. and if you take frequent trips , dragging that heavy combo will feel less and LESS worth it.

What I noticed is , FAMILY pics happen up close ... 35mm of the RX1 covers it. with 24mp you can easily cover 70mm on a crop. What makes the RX1 different is it's Superior Sensor and LENS that allows you to crop and still have a great shot.

What I just noticed on my recent Las Vegas trip is ... the Internal Flash at 35mm , and f2 thru f4 , at iso 1600 and above is CRAZY Good! You just need to comp DOWN the flash power at night.

I am now convinced, As a "FAMILY" camera the RX1 with 35mm is NOT Limiting in ANY WAY. As a TRIP camera SUPERIOR. and as good if not better than ANY Full Frame camera you can buy at any price. And that is purely on a IQ (Image Quality) Level.

Now, ADD in it's SMALL size ... PRICELESS !

I have been on many, many TRIPS with my D800/D700 + 24-70 f2.8 combo ... and I can tell you without Reservation that on my last trip with the RX1 I had ZERO , ZERO thoughts of my DSLR. The 35mm PRIME of the RX1 did not feel limiting at all. Period. The Focus , Good enough. In fact DMF AF with Manual Focus zoom with Peaking is MORE than Enough. Seriously.

imho, there is NOTHING that I felt would have been better served with a DSLR + 24-70 zoom. Now, "outside" of a trip ... say a soccer match, well you need a different tool.

For FAMILY pics ... SIZE and the ability to have it with you when a MOMENT happens is Priceless!

NOW, add in the FACT that you are carrying in your belt bag (in my case) a Full Frame camera with a Ziess f2 lens ... There will be NO Regrets ... YES, the RX1 is that GOOD !

imho, "only" a full time D800 shooter with top PRO f2.8 glass (or it's C equal) can tell you that on a Image Quality level , it "basically" the SAME.

And Bottom Line, is that not what you want to have with you ... ALL THE TIME ?

For me it's a NO Brainier, and for a surprisingly high amount of D800 shooters.

This is a RX1 Test gallery ... that I have pics from my recent Las Vegas trip , with some Tourist shots and family shots , and 2 video ... 10 day trip with "only" the RX1. Trust me, I did not think of my D800 not once. Yes the RX1 is "that" GOOD !

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/28812065_ggbNN6#!i=2567846040&k=89ZB3V9

Hope this helps,

HG

halfmonkey wrote:

I'm in the market to finally upgrade to full frame and I've narrowed down my choices to either the Sony RX1 or the Canon 5D iii. I know these two cameras are in completely different categories and that's what making the decision so difficult. I guess I wasn't really even considering the RX1 at first because of the fixed 35mm. It was the quality of the pictures and the size that drew me in. If I buy the 5D iii, I'd purchase the 24-70 ii lens with it to start off.

So I know that deciding which camera to pick will ultimately fall to my style of shooting but I'd like to ask for your guys' opinion or suggestions on things to consider when deciding between the two cameras.

I would probably say that my primary focus at this point is taking pictures of my little kids. They're 5.5, 4, and 6 months. I guess one of the main things holding me back on the RX1 is the fixed 35mm lens. I know it's generally considered a walkaround lens, maybe a little on the wide side but non-the-less, a usable walk around lens.

I've compiled my list of pros and cons for each. Please feel free to give feedback to suggest things to consider for each.

RX1...

pros:

1. small - I guess the first rule of taking a great picture is to have the camera with you in the first place.

2. cheaper than the 5D iii

cons:

1. fixed 35mm lens; non-changable - not necessarily the best for shots of kids

2. accessories are extremely expensive

5Diii...

pros:

1. interchangable lens - allwos for flexibility

cons:

1. heavy and large - there not as portable as I'd like. Can't just throw in a bag or wife's purse or pocket

-- hide signature --

http://tourist-of-light.blogspot.com/
Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow