Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
LaszloBencze
Regular MemberPosts: 379
Like?
Re: Here's what pixels give you:
In reply to fyngyrz, Jun 17, 2013

fyngyrz wrote:

First, the ability to frame later by cropping. And this, in turn, often means that a single prime can work for many situations you wouldn't otherwise consider using it for. And that means that you can use a fast lens where otherwise you might not have been able to.

More pixels also mean, when one has shot a crowd or something complex such as a ship's rigging or a beaded dress, that one can access that detail for any reason from historical to familial purposes.

More pixels mean that on those occasions when editing is required, flaws tend to have higher pixel count regions that distinguish those flaws from the surrounding image data, and when that is so, it is easier to remove moles, zits, flies, and so forth.

More pixels mean that astro shots, or really shots of anything at a distance you cannot significantly close, contain more usable detail. In the case of astro, some DSOs are so small that the detail gained by a high pixel density sensor is a significant portion of the entire value of the shot.

More pixels mean that not only can you crop for framing, you can also crop in an arbitrary, artful manner - pull a panoramic crop out of a standard ratio lens shot, for instance. Or a vertical slice containing only one skyscraper.

So while yes, certainly you can get great images with just a few MP, not all doors are open, or as open, as they are when you have a higher density sensor.

I cannot disagree with anything you say.

On the other hand I rarely crop a picture. In fact, of the 38 photos on exhibit, only one is significantly cropped and that was done simply to eliminate a mound of dirt in the foreground that had nothing to do with the subject. In this case I cut about 20% of the picture off the bottom. Otherwise all the pictures are uncropped, though in a few instances a few pixels have been shaved off the edge to eliminate some tiny distraction.

I guess I grew up in the "never crop an image" school of photography. Remember printing that black line around an image in a filed out negative carrier to prove that it was uncropped? I have a lot of pictures like that in my archives.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
auntNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow