Veteran MemberPosts: 3,796Gear list
Like?
Re: A headache for manufacturers
In reply to ragspix, 10 months ago

ragspix wrote:

Grevture wrote:

ragspix wrote:

Hmmm... performance ... maybe..

But just think how much a 800mm prime would weigh for a N1 body...

Are we at a threshold of size? Would smaller lighter primes drive the current batch of expensive lens owners to a smaller form factor?

Hmmm...

Don't forget one very large factor for getting these expensive primes is subject isolation and DOF control, and there is nothing to be gained from a smaller form factor there (that is, smaller sensor).

Well shooting with a 5.6 800mm at a far distance gives bokeh

But a lens that produces a similar result as a 800/5.6 on full frame will be about as big and cumbersome, not to mention expensive also with a smaller sensor. And then you might as well use a full frame and get the benefit of a larger sensor area (since the overall package will not be smaller, nor lighter or cheaper using a smaller sensor).

For much of everyday pictures, sure. And that is probably exactly why Nikon went the route they did with the Nikon 1 cameras. But for the kind of images where you are prepared to go the extra mile to get exactly the result you want, there the full frame cameras and there relatively large and expensive lenses will prevail.

Prevail? in numbers or quality...

I think numbers for FF might increase a bit, prices are not that frightfully high anymore (think D600 and Eos 6D). The quality will, if anything increase ever so slightly - normal development of both optics and sensors.

APS-C will probably over time become more and more a mirrorless domain as AF without mirrors and EVF:s get steadily better and better. Also here the quality will slowly increase due to normal technological development.

My guess is the N1 system will play a larger role in Nikon product offerings, they just got to get the engineering/quality closer to dslrs.

Agree, I think it will gradually become a more diverse offering, spanning from point-and-shootish cameras to more enthusiast-oriented ones.

They just came out with a 32mm 1.2 w manual override ( pro-like lens) for the system. It is a departure from the cost conscious product base now.

I hope this (together with the V2) is a sign of them diversifying the 1 system a bit, I think there is room in that system for more then just the cost concious buyers. Think a V3 with a decent sized buffer so one can use those high speed modes for a bit longer periods ... And compability with Nikons CLS flash system. And some other details. You saw the firmware upgrade where they fixed one major (in my opinion) shortcoming? Now you can use continuous focusing also with AF-S lenses on the FT-1 adapter.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow