Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
DarylK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,621Gear list
Like?
Re: Light lens for birding?
In reply to kipling, Jun 16, 2013

kipling wrote:

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think I'll go with the k30/55-300 combo.

The best birding setup I have had was the 7d with a 400 5.6, a great lens but a bit heavy for me now. I have a 6D with shorter lenses which gives top quality, and the K30 will be quite adequate for those occasions when the birds decide to be cooperative. (referring of course to the feathered ones!).

Thanks again

Cheers

I think you'll be satisfied with the k30/55-300 combo based on your stated expectations/rationale above.

Sometime in the future, you might want to consider buying the new Q7 with lens adapter and take advantage of the crop factor to achieve really long equivalent FLs.  I'll be watching posts by early adopters/experimenters with interested in seeing how this might work out.  I bought the original Q (when it was dirt cheap) and an inexpensive adapter to K mount with this in mind.  However, my 55-300, as good as it is, doesn't have the optical resolution to meet what I was hoping for.  No fault of the lens...just trying to push the envelope a little too far beyond it's design purpose.  The larger sensor in the Q7 will certainly mitigate this to an extent yet to be determined.

Enjoy you're experience!

Daryl

-- hide signature --

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Great photography is largely a matter of perspective, both visually and mentally - Daryl Kottwitz (but probably said before )
My gallery: http://darylkottwitzphoto.smugmug.com

DarylK's gear list:DarylK's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow