KennyXL
Regular MemberPosts: 407Gear list
Like?
Re: Nonsense
In reply to Shunda77, Jun 16, 2013

Shunda77 wrote:

cmvsm wrote:

trut_maluglist wrote:

What are the primary differences between the D5100 and the D5200? Are these differences enough to justify the ~$200 price difference?

For $200, get the new body. As others have said, the AF module alone is worth the difference.

In what circumstances?

The AF module is a marketing gimmick that works very well because Nikon get to save a fortune by recycling the innards of the D7000 and playing to the nonsense seen here.

$200 for that AF module is a joke.

Most people never fully use the capability of the module in the D5100 as it is. You gotta wonder how Canon users have coped for so long with an even lower spec AF than the D5100.

Lenses will make a massive difference, the 39 point AF module will give you bragging rights at best.

You're right.  It takes less time to focus with the center point and recompose than using the 4 way button to shift the centerpoint.  That's not the case if you're setting up a photo in advance, but those on-the-fly shots you're far more likely to catch it by using focus on center and quickly recompose.  I have a D800 and have had the D5100, D5200, D7000, and D600.  I used that method on every single camera as my primary method of focusing.  That's not to say that I didn't use the other method on occasion.  It is, however, nice to have all those AF points for those other situations, but for me, they didn't change the way I photograph things.  I'm sure other people disagree and can make compelling arguments for their method as well.

KennyXL's gear list:KennyXL's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow