Image quality: SEL1018 vs SEL16F28 + VCL ECU1

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
Gregory Kemp
Contributing MemberPosts: 668
Like?
Re: Image quality: SEL1018 vs SEL16F28 + VCL ECU1
In reply to Mike Sivcevic, 10 months ago

I haven't used the SEL1018, but I can share a bit of opinion on the SEL16F28.  I have been using it since I got my original NEX-5, and the IQ is plenty good.  I love the flexibility of the 16, with both of the adapters, and its incredibly small size by itself.  This is great for portability.  If I need a high quality wide, I have my A-mount Tokina 11-16.  The 16F28 has great IQ, with the adapters, you loose some IQ in the corners, and its really about F/4-4.5 when shooting wide open with either the fisheye or wide.  I don't know of any other lens that can be a pancake, a wide or a fisheye, and is that small.  I can fit my NEX5 with all three in just a little more space than my Tokina 11-16 requires in my bag.  So, I think it really depends on what you think you'll like more - do you want the highest IQ possible AND zoom range - then go with the 10-18, but if you want compactness, flexibility and bang for the buck, go with the 16.  For the needs you've described, I don't know that you'll see the difference in IQ.

Greg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow