Printing 24x36...

Started Jun 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
momo
Contributing MemberPosts: 816Gear list
Like?
Re: maybe a little help...
In reply to Bruce Oudekerk, Jun 16, 2013

At the risk of offending you; if you don’t have experience in printing large (and you obviously don’t, otherwise you wouldn’t be asking) you have no context for what you are seeing on the screen vs. what the print will look like at size. I’m a big believer in practical examples and after many years (decades) of working with digital art I still do this and occasionally get some surprises. Try this: prepare a typical image for your ‘print house’ then cut out small critical sections (say 4x6) and print them... assuming you have a decent home printer. View them at similar distances and lighting to what you imagine the finished 24x36 inch print will be viewed. In all likelihood you will be the most critical viewer that will ever look at the finished product. See if it is acceptable. This is the cheapest method I know of to analyze what the final detail in the print will look like and it is a great learning tool. This method is not without its pitfalls but other than doing 24x36 test prints its really the best way to see what will actually happen. I know that this is a wordy response to your question and I’m essentially saying you need to answer it yourself. No one anywhere can really directly and accurately answer it except you.

Appropriate help in preparation for print is really another question and can only be partially addressed in the context of a specific image.

Good luck….I wish I could be more help.

Bruce

Hi Bruce, not offended at all. I think this, printing small sections to check quality, is a good idea. Kind of like test strips in the old wet darkroom. And I don't have any experience printing this big so your suggestion will help immensely. Thanks for taking the time to explain all this.

-- hide signature --

“All photographs are memento mori. To take a photograph is to participate in another person’s mortality, vulnerability, mutability. Precisely by slicing out this moment and freezing it, all photographs testify to time’s relentless melt.”
- Susan Sontag
http://www.morristaubphotography.com
http://variationslumineuse.aminus3.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow