First Legitimate Camera Purchase (DSLR?)

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Syrianto
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
First Legitimate Camera Purchase (DSLR?)
Jun 16, 2013

Hey guys! First post here! I've just submerged myself into the camera world for about 12 hours now as I've been reading reviews, forums etc.

So here's the backstory: I'm a currently a university student so I'd like my budget to be under $1000. My entire life I've never really been too into cameras, only using crappy compact ones that my parents have and their old film camera (which is nice, but it uses film haha). But, recently I've been irritated with our old compact cameras because when we take pictures, it's about 10 seconds between each shot and longer if we used flash. Not to mention the picture quality isn't stellar at all. Anywho, my parent's anniversary is coming up so I'd like to buy them a nice entry-level camera that will last them a while.

Before reading up a bit into cameras, I noticed how almost every camera I saw was a Rebel t3/4i so I guessed that it would be an excellent camera. But upon further reading I'm a little more drawn to the Nikon D3200 just based on reviews and people's opinions. But then I'm also reading about how mirrorless cameras are starting to crop up and are basically just as good as DSLRs? Mirrorless seem to have more features such as filters and stuff but I don't think this would be suitable for my parents since they probably wouldn't want to constantly play around with a small screen/buttons. My dad (who will be taking the majority of the pictures) is not technologically challenged, in fact I think he really enjoys being a photographer, but he is not a fan of tweaking a ton of settings. Is the D3200 a good start? Mirrorless? Other DSLRs? So many questions D=

I know that I'm relying a lot on online words here, but I'd just like a bit of guidance or advice if anyone's got any! I truly appreciate any help since I know very little about what I'm hoping to purchase. Thank you very much!

Canon EOS 1100D (EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50) Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow