ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rheineck1
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nexus7 (Android 4.2.2) understands Pictbridge protocol for image transfer
Jun 16, 2013

Hi,

I didn't find anything on a search so just wanted to make a comment here in case it helps someone. Apologies if this is common knowledge - I posted this in another discussion forum but thought that it should be here in the Android section also.

I have just discovered that my Nexus 7 understands and can talk to a Pictbridge connection (via an OTG cable), which means that my camera (a Panasonic LX7 as it happens) can connect directly to the Nexus 7 without needing to remove the card for a card reader or use any 3rd party software.

My Nexus is running Android 4.2.2 and has NOT been rooted or had any other modifications made - it is as I bought it from the shop. These details are for a Panasonic LX7 camera, but perhaps it will work for other Android platforms and pictbridge supported cameras?

Connection Details for Nexus 7 -> LX7 :

1) First, make sure the USB setting on the setup menu of the LX7 (page 6) is set for either "Pictbridge" or "Select on connection" and save the setting.

2) Open the Gallery app on the Nexus which is used for viewing albums of images.

3) Connect the LX7 via its USB transfer cable to the OTG cable connected to the Nexus.

4) Turn on the camera. It will detect the connection and either default to Pictbridge, or, you will need to choose pictbridge on the menu on the LCD screen depending on which option you selected on the USB setup page in step 1.

5) The Nexus will show you "Camera Connected" and will then create a temporary album which contains previews of all of the images on your LX7 memory. Depending on how many images this may take 20 or 30 seconds or more. The temporary album is called "Panasonic DMC-LX7".

6) Open the album, select the (preview) photos that you want to download, and then hit the "import" icon at the top of the screen. Be aware that by default ALL of the photos are selected.

7) The photos are downloaded onto the nexus into an album which is called "Imported".

8) Disconnect everything after the import is complete, and then the images can be handled on the Nexus 7 just like any other image.

Hope this helps someone.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow