Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
XeroJay
Contributing MemberPosts: 943Gear list
Like?
My findings are...
In reply to LaszloBencze, Jun 15, 2013

After a decade and a half of shooting and printing digital images, megapixels is the final component in the chain of resolution and detail.

1. Movement during exposure is the first component to image detail. Mainly camera movement.

2. Lens characteristics and focus are the next most critical component.

3. Accutance of light sources is the third most likely to have affect on the image detail.

4. Image sensor size/total capture area. The larger the sensor; the less magnification relative to the final output.

5. Megapixels. This only noticeably comes into play after factors 1 through 4 are near optimum.

This isn't fact, and ymmv, but believe me, this comes from years of paying the mortgage by capturing and producing large prints. Megapixels are less of an issue today than ever before. If anyone thinks that they could ever tell the difference between my 1Dx and my 5D3 by spotting the extra 4mp from prints of any size, I would bet my pants they're mistaken.
--
If there's typos, you can be sure I used my iPhone.

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
auntNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow