Started Jun 14, 2013 | Photos thread
Nathanio
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
Re: The Viggen...!
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jun 15, 2013

PhotoKhan wrote:

Just love that plane.

It was my "wonder-craft" back when was still an Air Force Academy cadet and I still have a full brochure Saab sent me when I passionately contact them, back then.

People (..Americans in particular...) simply have no idea how advanced this fighter was, for it's time (first flight in 1971, retired in 2005).

Suffice to say that the advanced combat aircraft currently being deployed in several European Airforces - Eurofighter Typhoon - touts as the pinnacle of advanced technology solutions that the Swedish design engineers had already adopted decades ago, ie delta wing + front canards (although the Typhoon's are fully pivot-moving ones, whilst the Viggen add them with trailing edge moving surfaces).

It was designed to operate from highways (a tactical concept that always made sense to me, specially when put against the partially inefficient one of dispersion ramps enclosed in military airbases)

The images of Viggens agilely flying low-level with the Swedish Dalarna region lakes as a backdrop is one of the most powerful ones in my aviation imaginary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRSVHxT-ziM

Thank you for this excellent shot of such a personal-iconic flying machine.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

That and its forebearer (The Draken) are some of the coolest planes ever made. Very very cool

Nathanio's gear list:Nathanio's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow