How long can digital bodies last.......even the good ones?

Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
digitallollygag
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
Re: Tin Whiskers and Lead Free Solder
In reply to macmaven, Jun 15, 2013

Some have attempted to connect the lead-free solder issue with the recycling arrow circle symbol with the number "10" inside the circle (found on late-model lenses). Ken Rockwell stirred the pot a few years ago in his review of the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 AF-S G lens:

"The 10 inside recycling circles means that Nikon expects that this lens will be thrown into the dump in 10 years. I hope not, but that's what the "10" means."

Automatically, some were blaming the lead-free solder issue on an apparent lens 10-year life span, probably creating a great deal of concern to those buying high-end lenses with this recycling symbol.  Would you buy the Nikon "holy trinity" of lenses if they were to last only 10 years?

Nikon's response the recycling symbol is different:

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21761/~/why-is-there-a-10-symbol-printed-on-my-lens%3F

I am in no way minimizing the lead-free solder problems that may be coming down the road, but simply stating that there seems to be a lot of misinformation out there when we see some strange symbol on the bottom of our electronic devices.

digitallollygag's gear list:digitallollygag's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D100 Olympus E-410 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow