Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
rwbaron
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,352Gear list
Like?
Re: Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.
In reply to LaszloBencze, Jun 15, 2013

LaszloBencze wrote:

Thank you!

It's interesting that your experience is so similar to mine. I truly did expect to see a difference and was surprised I didn't.

I'm sure there are pictures which would reveal these large differences in pixel count. Pictures filled with fine detail—a wall filled with posters, a tree filled landscape, close ups of a butterfly's wings. But I take very few pictures like those. And I suspect most people also take pictures that don't easily reveal such differences in resolution.

I suppose the bottom line to all discussions about number of pixels is "Stop worrying about pixels! Refine your seeing. Work at developing yourself as a photographer. Let your pictures today be better than your pictures yesterday." That is the attitude I try to cultivate for myself.

Let me first say that I viewed your Mining, Transportation and Industry portfolio's on your website and they are excellent.  I really like your vision and style.

I think this further supports your point. Below is a photo from the last museum exhibition I paricipated in. Of the 4 images the juror selected, the museum purchased the photo second from the left for their permanent collection which was without doubt the image with the lowest technical quality of the 10 I submitted for review. They even used it on the cover of the program for the exhibition. It was taken with my 50D and 100-400L which had a decentering issue and was not even close to tack sharp at the captured FL besides being handheld. The image on the far right was captued with my G1X.

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
auntNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow