Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
rwbaron
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,427Gear list
Like?
Re: Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.
In reply to LaszloBencze, 10 months ago

LaszloBencze wrote:

Thank you!

It's interesting that your experience is so similar to mine. I truly did expect to see a difference and was surprised I didn't.

I'm sure there are pictures which would reveal these large differences in pixel count. Pictures filled with fine detail—a wall filled with posters, a tree filled landscape, close ups of a butterfly's wings. But I take very few pictures like those. And I suspect most people also take pictures that don't easily reveal such differences in resolution.

I suppose the bottom line to all discussions about number of pixels is "Stop worrying about pixels! Refine your seeing. Work at developing yourself as a photographer. Let your pictures today be better than your pictures yesterday." That is the attitude I try to cultivate for myself.

I'm 100% in agreement with all you've said and especially your last paragraph.

My experience is the accuracy of focus, the chosen aperture (both DoF and sharpest f stop) along with the placement of the subject in the frame, the quality of the optics and the technique at capture (minimizing vibration or shake) are all as important if not more so than the number of pixels and I believe DXO is now expressing similar views after testing camera/lens combinations.

Photography is a bit like golf in that when you press the shutter it's like beginning your swing. Like Jack Nicklaus said there are about 6 things he can think of when beginning his swing so you have to be certain they are the most important inĀ acheiving the desired result

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
auntNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow