Do pixels matter? What 20" x 30" prints reveal.

Started Jun 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
LaszloBencze
Regular MemberPosts: 379
Like?
Re: Very true
In reply to Mako2011, Jun 15, 2013

That said...I personally get more use, enjoyment, and personal pride from my pics made with the new gen camera than the older gen 5mp camera I still use, all else being equal. There are also other elements of photography that bring enjoyment/pleasure that have nothing to do with the exposure. Sometimes one camera just feels good. Snapping off a Polaroid might do it for some. It's more complex than one might think...because we are all wired different. As an example, my wife will always pic the picture with the horse in it as her favorite...even if the rose pic is stunning and a masterwork done by Crewdson. The guy down the street will buy it as long as it's done on velvet.

I agree with everything you've said. I, too, greatly enjoy using the 5D MKIII for many reasons. Those old 1D cameras were too heavy. The 5D MKIII fits so comfortably in the hand. And of course I certainly do like the idea that I'm now getting 20+ megapixels even if I can't tell those pictures from the 10 megapixel ones. At the very least it's a personal satisfaction in knowing you have the "best" in your hand. That satisfaction is very similar to the satisfactions to be had from fine hand built furniture, a custom made pocket knife, a carefully chosen stereo system, a house designed to personal taste by an architect, or any material good that exceeds the limitations of what is considered standard.

And yes, people do vary in their taste and appreciation for such things. Good taste comes at a price. It is always purchased by long study, lots of looking, and usually discussion with others who are avid connoisseurs. The pay off can't be measured. After all a standard tract house will keep the rain off your head as well as a ten million dollar architectural masterpiece. The pleasures derived from the latter are far more likely to be aesthetic rather than practical advantages.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
auntNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow