Need Assistance with PC Specs

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: Need Assistance with PC Specs
In reply to AShimon, Jun 15, 2013

You'd be surprised how much more taxing 32 bit float per channel operations become, and those are around the corner. CPU will soon be the new constraint of image processing again.

And so few applications will require 32-bit FP calculations it will be a non-issue.

Why would anyone use anything else when it's available?

Large OEMs absolutely do get discounts on their components. It is because they purchase in bulk and can therefore negotiate lower per-unit pricing. This is a major reason why OEMs can offer lower system prices than individuals can attain.

And those who OEM manufacture motherboards and GPU's get the same discounts on their components. They also purchase in bulk. Therefore there is no price advantage to either part.

OEM quality will suffer more the lower the prices go. But this does not equate to a bad product, per se.

The same goes for buying individual parts and building a system. If you do not wish to have the top quality, buy cheaper parts and your computer will be cheaper.

There is no way I could get a comparable quality system to the one I built myself from an OEM at the same price. Yes, I could get a cheaper system, but if I had gone down in quality on parts I could have built an equivalent quality system even cheaper.

The only exception is the fully integrated, ultra cheap systems like the Asus Eeebox and similar. Those are cheap because they completely bypass modularity, and there is no way to assemble a system as cheaply as that on your own. But any "classic" system built from COTS parts can be built at the same price or cheaper by buying the parts separately.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow